From Shipyard to Yacht Harbor
striking feature of the Estuary's recent history, has been a general
shift in maritime activity from work to play. For example the Alameda
Marina, opened in 1967, is a 520-berth yacht harbor that occupies a
portion of the old General Engineering & Drydock Company (GEDDCO)
shipyard. A number of the shipyard buildings have been retained and are
now leased to tenants ranging from yacht brokers to a yacht club.
GEDDCO established its Alameda yard in 1922 and grew during World War II
to become one of the largest ship repair yards on the Pacific Coast,
with over 1,000 workers and a wartime tally of nearly 4,000 ships
repaired. The postwar collapse of the shipbuilding industry led to the
shipyard's closing in 1948. GEDDCO had displaced the Alameda Boating
Club. It, in turn, was replaced by the Alameda Marina.
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
back to history map