Birth on the Water
waterfront at the foot of Broadway was the site of the first cluster of
tents and wooden buildings that would, in 1852, become Oakland.
Steamboats landed at the Broadway Wharf, carrying both passengers and
cargoes to and from San Francisco. By the mid-1850s, it was even
possible to buy a commuter ticket on the ferry.
In 1863, a new ferry landing was established at Oakland Point at the end
of 7th St. Ferries could land here without having to enter the shallow
estuary. 7th St. developed as the route between downtown and the ferry.
Served by a local steam train, 7th St. became a thriving commercial
strip from downtown through West Oakland.
Oakland Museum of California
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
back to history map