Albers Milling Co.
1915, Albers Milling Company leased a five-acre tract adjoining City
Wharf No. 1 at the end of Seventh Street. The company was drawn to this
site by the shipping advantages of the meeting of rail and water. Here,
between 1916 and 1918, Albers erected an eight-story,
reinforced-concrete mill building with an attached wood-frame warehouse.
The mill was enlarged several times between 1934 and 1941, and
substantially rebuilt following a fire in 1943. Albers produced cereal,
flour, feed and other grains with a workforce, in the 1920s, of 400 men
and women. The complex was acquired by the Port of Oakland in 1985 and
razed three years later to make way for the Mitsui Container Terminal.
"Walk Along the Water"
© Oakland Museum of California, used with permission.
Topic at Other Sites:
of Albers warehouse interior - Oakland History Room, Oakland Public
of Albers Mill ca. 1919 - United States Library of
Congress's Prints and Photographs Division
back to history map