The publication of the League of Women Voters of Oakland's award winning
report titled: The Waterfront: It Touches the World; How Does It Touch
Oakland? provided the catalyst to help the City and Port jointly fund
the study of the Oakland Estuary from Adeline Street to 66th Avenue and
the shoreline to the freeway. This study culminated in the
development of the Estuary Policy Plan, which was adopted after a
broad-based public process as part of the
City of Oakland's General Plan in June of 1999.
The study area was divided between the two jurisdictions
in 1926, when the city of Oakland voters passed a charter amendment to
establish the Port of Oakland as an quasi-independent entity. The Port's
jurisdiction was roughly from the water's edge to 2nd Street, with ins
and outs along the way. When the two public agencies decided to work
together on this planning effort, there was agreement that the line, for
study purposes, would cease to exist.
"The basic premise of the plan and its preceding
efforts is that the Estuary is a resource of citywide and regional
significance. This area cannot be viewed as a single-purpose district
isolated from the city, but rather as a diverse and multifaceted place
that connects the city and the bay.” Estuary Policy Plan, page v, 1999.
full plan, including all maps and graphics, is available on the
Port of Oakland's Commercial Real Estate Division website:
, slow download,
please be patient!)